The Hondo National Bank originated in 1901 with the chartering of the First National Bank of Hondo, which was located in Hondo, Texas, approximately 35 miles west of San Antonio, Texas. The Hondo State Bank opened in 1906 at the same location. In 1936 the two banks merged into a new chartered bank called The Hondo National Bank with total capital of $60,000. On November 31, 1950, the bank moved to its new quarters on 18th Street in Hondo. The bank has operated continuously since the inception of the two banks in the early 1900’s and weathered the "Great Depression", the "Banking Crisis of the 1980s", and the “Great Recession of 2008-2009.”
A single office operated in Hondo until branch banking was permitted in Texas. In 1998 the bank’s Bandera Branch was established, in 2003 the Uvalde Branch was opened, and in 2006 the Leakey Branch was opened. The bank purchased Uvalde National Bank in 2013 and most recently opened a branch in Blanco, Texas in 2018. The bank now has 5 locations spread across 5 counties and has more than tripled its asset size during the last ten years.
The bank’s Mission Statement is as follows: “It is our desire to grow while profitably providing superior financial services to our customers. We will accomplish this by offering "one-on-one" customer service in a friendly atmosphere, developing community ties, and ensuring the highest efficiencies, integrity, and honesty while maintaining security and confidentiality.”
James Barden, Chairman, Texas Heritage Bancshares, Inc.
David McGuffin, Chairman, Hondo National Bank
Reagan Houston, IV